- Sunday 5-7PM: Our first meeting at the studio. At that time, Albert will give out important information on en plein air painting and portability for both pastels and oils, an explanation of sunny and grey day lighting conditions and an overall view of the week’s schedule, including maps to various painting locations, followed by our first workshop dinner at REDS. (Individual checks please.)
- Each morning we will all meet on location or at the studio at 9AM, and paint until noon. Every morning, Albert will paint along with you.
- From noon to 2:00PM: Lunch and travel to and set-up for the afternoon painting session.
- From 2PM to 5:00 PM, we will paint on location. In the afternoons, Mr. Handell will paint along with you for the first hour or so and then will give individual help at the easel (optional). Our painting subject matter will vary from Sedona’s beautiful red rock mesas and buttes, the quiet slickrock banks of Oak Creek, the area’s graceful sycamore and cottonwood trees, to wide-open breathtaking vistas and skies.
- 5-7PM Supper
- In the evenings from 7:00 until 9:00 PM, we will meet at the studio for our daily critique and suggestions for the next day’s painting. Mr. Handell will also present eye-opening career building information at that time. Our daily schedule can vary slightly from day-to-day.
- Friday evening, we will meet at a local restaurant for our final farewell dinner (individual checks)
- Saturday morning from 9AM till noon, we have a final in depth, very informative critique which will help you with your painting after the week ends. If you can, please bring 6 or 8 images; either prints or computer images (or originals) of works done before the workshop and everything painted during the week.
Mr Handell will be staying at Days Inn in West Sedona.
If you wish other accommodations:
to Get to Sedona, Arizona
Sedona is 2 hours (121 miles) by car from the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport (PHX). It's an easy drive, mostly in Interstate 17. Here's the map from Google:
View Larger Map
By the way, if you are renting a car, know that it is expensive to rent a car at the Phoenix airport. It is much cheaper to rent one in Sedona or Cottonwood. You can take a shuttle from Phoenix to Sedona or Cottonwood to pick up a car. Shuttle: http://www.sedona-phoenix-shuttle.com/
Gandolfo Studio, 220 Goodrow Lane, Sedona AZ
Phone: 928.961.6535 (Carol Gandolfo)
Goodrow Lane is the road on the north side of West Route 89A between Rodeo Drive and Coffee Pot Drive. It doesn't look like much of a road but it has a street sign, so look for it. Veer left where it says "No Outlet." Look for number 220 on the right, just past Schimberg Lane (on your right also.) There are two little driveways, either of which you may use. Extra parking is along Schimberg Lane.
For Sunday night's supper, we will be at REDS restaurant, which is part of the Sedona Rouge resort.
REDS Restaurant at Sedona Rouge Resort, 2250 West 89A, Sedona AZ
Coming from the north, and immediately before Rodeo Drive, turn right into the REDS parking lot. If you miss the turn, turn right on Rodeo. Immediately after this turn, REDS is on your right.